I thought it was a great speech.
Why couldn’t Donald Trump do that instead of reverting to libertarianism?
There was nothing unreasonable in the speech. Joe asked people to wear a mask as a courtesy to others and said he was making good on his promise to get the vaccine out to elderly people who are the most at risk. He took credit for Democrats delivering the $1,400 stimmy and the new child tax credit.
Here’s what Joe didn’t say:
- He didn’t say that the National Guard was going to drag you out of your house and force you to take the vaccine against your will
- He didn’t say that you are absolutely required to wear a mask
- He didn’t say that you were required to accept the $1,400 check
- He didn’t say that COVID restrictions were going to last forever
- He didn’t say that the federal government was imposing lockdowns
- He didn’t have any gaffes like babbling about whether people should inject themselves with disinfectant
I think this speech will resonate with Joe’s coalition.
Joe was elected to clean up the COVID mess and deliver a bigger economic relief package. That’s what all the polls say that most people want him to do. He is delivering on the public’s top priority.
Note: After Trump was elected president, he spent his political capital on delivering Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell’s unpopular True Cons agenda and sank in the polls.