The excuse for keeping those ridiculous barbed wire fences around the Capitol was supposed threats of “violence” in relation to the impeachment trial, so presumably they can now be removed ASAP. That is, unless they’re a permanent fixture and the “threats” were just a BS pretext pic.twitter.com/PMJJwJHbPl— Michael Tracey (@mtracey) February 14, 2021
I’ll be much more attuned to the role cowardice plays in fueling far-right extremism after watching this impeachment farce.— Michael Edison Hayden (@MichaelEHayden) February 14, 2021
Yes, the vote was predictable but it was also beneath contempt.
UPDATE: Charles C.W. Cooke’s interview with Ben Sasse illustrates how tone deaf and out of touch these people are with their own voters. Who is Sasse trying to impress? Jeff Flake?
What exactly was accomplished by this charade?
- It was never realistically going to happen.
- It was performance art politics and a complete waste of time.
- It inflamed and unified Trump’s base.
- It confirmed Trump’s control over the Republican Party.
- It stepped all over Joe’s first 100 days by dragging out the Trump Show.
- It increased polarization and smoked out people like Liz Cheney.
- It made the chances of crossing Trump and getting anything done in Congress beyond the COVID relief bill less likely to happen.
- Accelerated the decline of Conservatism, Inc.
Here are the names on Trump’s official enemies list:
Pat Toomey (retiring)
Richard Burr (retiring)
Of those, Bill Cassidy has already been censured. Ben Sasse is getting censured. Liz Cheney has been censured. Effectively, Trump has been sent into exile, but his grip has only tightened over the GOP. The goal here seems to be to further weaken the True Cons wing of the GOP.
What happens though if the GOP establishment finally collapses due to the loss of all these suburban voters? 85% of Republicans were against convicting Trump. Only 12% of Republican voters supported it. How long is Conservatism, Inc. going to be able to hang on given the reality of the fact that their demographic base in the wealthy suburbs is going over to Joe Biden?