The 2014 American Renaissance Conference was held this weekend at Montgomery Bell State Park near Dickson, TN.
The CofCC at Amren
I briefly spoke there on Friday evening as the representative of the Council of Conservative Citizens. In my speech, I addressed the disorganization, apathy, and isolation that prevails in the pro-White movement, which I believe is the cause of the present state of powerlessness, and advocated becoming better organized, more active, and engaged with others in the real world as the solution to the problem.
Instead of talking about the racial and cultural impact of immigration and changing demographics, which affects our race as a whole, I addressed the favorite tactics of our opposition – ritual shaming, employment discrimination, and violence – which are used to target us as individuals. I emphasized how getting properly organized in the real world is the practical solution to all these problems. It is something that could be acted on immediately and would bear fruit for the movement rather than being endlessly debated like most abstract discussions on the internet.
Aside from representing the CofCC, I attended the Amren conference because I wanted to see and enjoy Montgomery Bell State Park, network with likeminded people, see our friends from the Tennessee Anti-Racist Network and make good on my promise after Richmond to film the opposition, and maybe learn something new from the speeches. I prefer to watch speeches on YouTube, especially by intellectuals, because most are easier to break down and digest in the comfort of my own home.
Montgomery Bell State Park
Far from being a scene out of Deliverance, I can’t speak highly enough of the decision to have the Amren conference at Montgomery Bell State Park. The food was great. The staff was friendly and courteous. The scenery was spectacular.
The environment at Montgomery Bell State Park was much more conducive to discussing ideas than it would have been in a large and “diverse” metro area like Atlanta or Washington, DC. I’ve already recommended that the League of the South have its annual conference at a similar location like Fall Creek Falls State Park. Business groups have retreats and seminars at these state parks for obvious reasons.
The campaign to “Shutdown Amren” at Montgomery Bell State Park was a failure on every conceivable level:
– In between the 94 people who told the Tennessee Anti-Racist Network and the Clarksville SDS that they were coming to the counterprotest, only 17 or 18 of them bothered to show up on Saturday evening.
– The counter-protesters were specifically told by the organizers to tweet their opposition to having Amren at Montgomery Bell State Park. As it turned out, they couldn’t even be bothered to tweet #StopTheHate on Twitter!
– Last year, I am told the counter-protesters bused in “anti-fa” activists from the Northern states and several carloads of them came from out of state to participate, but this year there was no sign of them at the Amren conference.
– Last year, there was a bar fight at a local bar in Dickson, but after returning to the same bar that evening we didn’t run into anyone from the counter-protest.
– Last year, the counter-protesters were there on Friday and Saturday, but there was no sign of them there on Friday evening.
– Last year, the Tennessee Anti-Racist Network organized a “counter-conference” at Montgomery Bell State Park, but this year there was no counter-conference.
– In 2013 and 2014, the counter-protesters started two petitions on MoveOn.org to run Amren out of Montgomery Bell State Park. Almost 3x as many people signed the 2013 petition and neither petition accomplished its stated objective.
– The counter-protesters succeeded in annoying patrons and staff of Montgomery Bell State Park and made themselves look ridiculous. We knew they were coming this year and had multiple people film them from different angles.
– Inside the Amren conference, the attendees watched the entertainment unfolding outside with great amusement, many of whom later told me after drinks that it was the highlight of the conference, and the general consensus in the room was that the counter-protesters just really didn’t have their hearts into it this year.
I’ve been to a lot of conferences where attendees have asked nutty questions, but this one was notable for the relative absence of the kook element.
I enjoyed meeting lots of OD readers for the first time and reconnecting with several people who I haven’t seen in many years. I met RamZPaul, John Morgan, and Jack Donovan and a lot of other bright people who I haven’t met before. Last summer, I met my future wife at the 2013 CofCC national conference, and I have met some of my best friends at the last two League of the South national conferences.
I can understand that some people don’t go to conferences because they would rather watch the speeches at home or because they can’t afford to do so or because they personally don’t like some of the speakers, but I owe my wife and son to a spur of the moment decision to go to a national conference.
Many blessings have flowed from that decision. Now I always try to find the time to go. Thankfully, I wasn’t deterred by some of the people who spoke at that conference because its real value was the people who I met there.
I’m a strong proponent of taking “the movement” off the internet and into the real world. I’ve learned through experience that I prefer to interact with people in real life rather than online because the internet brings out the worst in people. In the League of the South, we use the internet as a communications tool and hold multiple events throughout the year, in addition to an annual conference, so that our people, who have the advantage of being more culturally similar to each other, can have plenty of chances to get to know each other and trust can be built within our organization.
The Amren conference is one of the few institutions in the pro-White movement that serves this function. There needs to be many, many more of these “entry points” where people who are “pro-White” can congregate and socialize in the real world, especially in light of the fact that White Nationalists lack a common culture and spread their message almost exclusively through the internet. It is much harder for trolls and other dysfunctional individuals to flourish in a real world setting.
Of the speakers at the Amren conference, RamZPaul’s speech on The Dark Enlightenment was the funniest and held my attention the longest. At the same time, the speech was very substantial and traced the origins of progressivism back through the Soviet Union, Jacobin France, and the American Revolution to Oliver Cromwell and the Puritans and ultimately all the way back to Martin Luther and the Reformation.
It was refreshing to be in a room and hear someone finally “name” democracy and the American Revolution. The tragic consequences of the American Revolution and the benefits of monarchy is a theme which we have harped on here on many occasions. Sam Dickson also elaborated in his speech on how America was doomed to fail from the beginning because of its radical individualism and egalitarianism. Jack Donovan spoke about the importance of loyalty and discrimination.
The biologist speaker, Douglas Whitman, gave a fascinating presentation on the evolution of racial differences. It was the kind of presentation that I would like to go back and watch in slow motion on YouTube while Googling various things were brought up that I would like to read more about. John Morgan of Arktos spoke at length about nationalist movements in Eastern Europe and made several points about how White identity in the United States is too abstract while European nationalists are living out their identity in a more concrete way that makes it more attractive.
I believe it was Jared Taylor who spoke about the prejudices of our opponents and the importance of undermining stereotypes by conducting ourselves in such a way that makes our ideas more attractive. In my view, this comment summarizes the entire arc of Jared Taylor’s twenty year career in the pro-White movement, and it was interesting to see it juxtaposed against Jared’s warning about the perverted virtues of kindhearted Whites who think so highly of non-Whites that they are giving away their own countries.
Dr. Michael Hill told us at the 2013 LS Alabama state conference that “There comes a time when you got to get just pure mad-dog mean. If your civilization is worth fighting for, that’s what you will – you will let nothing deter you from it.” I’m sure that Jared Taylor feels the same way about our civilization, but he would say “no” in the nicest and most polite way imaginable.
There’s a right way to go about this and the happy medium is a combination of Dr. Hill’s “just pure mad-dog mean” and Jared Taylor’s good manners that will resonate with White people without causing them to lose their backbone.
Update: Shotgun has posted a review on his website.
Note: Amren has published its own article about the conference which includes an expanded account of the speakers and their presentations.