I just want to drop a few newslinks for the gallery before signing off. The news cycle is moving so fast that I don’t have the time to respond to every important development.
(1) Steve King (R-Iowa), the next chairman of the House Immigration Subcommittee, plans to come out swinging in the 112th Congress. The opening salvo: the introduction of a bill that would deny birthright citizenship to illegal aliens.
Tom McClintock is one of its supporters. Some of the Californians on this website might recall McClintock losing the California gubernatorial recall election in 2003 to Arnold Schwarzenegger.
I keep hearing in the comments that elections don’t have consequences.
(2) Apparently, Texas is going nuts over violent Mexican drug cartels. Gov. Rick Perry is launching a counterinsurgency and deploying the Texas Rangers to the border. This is a volatile situation which could conceivably spiral out of control.
Suppose Texas exchanged gunfire with Mexico. What would Barack Obama do? Send in the National Guard to protect illegal aliens like the Little Rock Nine? Something like that could spark a full blown secession crisis.
Undoubtedly, Rick Perry would kill for such a George Wallace moment.
(3) The Michael Steele meltdown continues.
(4) Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi are going to make another attempt at the DREAM Act amnesty.
Michelle Malkin has polled the Republican Caucus in the Senate. The fence sitters are John McCain, Lisa Murkowski, Olympia Snowe, Susan Collins, Kay Bailey Hutchinson, Sam Brownback and George LeMieux.
Apparently, Grahamnesty isn’t on board this time. If you live in Florida, Texas, Maine, Alaska, Kansas or Arizona, it is time to make a phone call. Jeff Sessions (R-Alabama) is spearheading the opposition in the Senate.
(5) As violence escalates along the Mexican border, Barack Obama is actually going to pull National Guard troops away from the border as part of his now “Southwest Security Plan.” That’s how Obama plans to cut federal spending.