“Twitter is conducting in-house research to better understand how white nationalists and supremacists use the platform. The company is trying to decide, in part, whether white supremacists should be banned from the site or should be allowed to stay on the platform so their views can be debated by others, a Twitter executive told Motherboard.
Vijaya Gadde, Twitter’s head of trust and safety, legal and public policy, said Twitter believes “counter-speech and conversation are a force for good, and they can act as a basis for de-radicalization, and we’ve seen that happen on other platforms, anecdotally.”
“So one of the things we’re working with academics on is some research here to confirm that this is the case,” she added. …”
I’m hoping that Jack Dorsey is listening to some free advice:
- The solution is to set aside the political correctness and engage with these people who want to be heard. Talk to them and listen
- The censorship has only reinforced their belief that their arguments are so persuasive that our tradition of free speech has to be dismantled in order to stop them from winning the battle of public opinion in the online space
- If you are serious about stopping violence, the last thing you want is to do is send them packing off to places like 8chan and Gab
- Virtually none of these people even support #Blompf2020 anyway after everything that has happened since 2016
- Allowing the ADL and SPLC to censor Twitter is inevitably going to change the attitude of the entire Right toward Silicon Valley and not in a way that is in Twitter’s interest
- Giving the SJWs and Antifa a free hand to engage in violence and abuse the rules to purge their political enemies is going to end badly for Silicon Valley because sooner or later these people will get smart and come back to Twitter and argue only for things like trust busting, tax increases, government regulation and Universal Maximum Income
- Jack Dorsey cares about “the health of the public conversation” and anyone with that point of view ought to support Andrew Yang for president because all the Boomers are yelling at each other 24/7 on Twitter and everyone will calm down when Yang is president. We need a non-Boomer president who isn’t extremely polarizing. Who gets mad over $1,000 a month?
“Heidi Beirich, director of the intelligence project at the Southern Poverty Law Center, said, “Twitter has David Duke on there; Twitter has Richard Spencer. They have some of the biggest idealogues of white supremacy and people whose ideas have inspired terrorist attacks on their site, and it’s outrageous.” She added that “there’s no question we already have that evidence” to suggest that white supremacy is a problem on Twitter.”
Heidi Beirich works for the hate industry.
The business model of the hate industry requires that ever larger swathes of the public conversation be declared “hate” and therefore toxic. When it becomes taboo to debate these issues in good faith in the so-called “mainstream,” the conversation is simply driven underground. The Poverty Palace has made hundreds of millions of dollars off “fighting hate” in much the same way that Prohibition worked in the 1920s.
Note: Prohibition didn’t work.
Political correctness and censorship are vastly more stupid than Prohibition ever was because only persuasion actually works. There is no technocratic substitute for a compelling argument.