Marc Ferguson is shocked by “the persistence of virulent racism” which he has discovered among the reactionary conservatives on this website.
Why is this shocking though? The theory of racial equality has been the official dogma of the United States ever since the Brown decision in 1954 and the Civil Rights Act of 1964 dismantled the Jim Crow South.
The entire American public education system (and by extension, the physical geography of countless cities, small towns, counties, neighborhoods and suburbs, which provide the White tax base for the integrated public schools) has been reconstructed around the dogma of racial equality.
Every other Western country (Britain, France, Canada, Australia, the Netherlands, etc.) is equally committed to the proposition that Africans are just as intelligent and moral as Whites and that racially exclusive public schools are racist and immoral. And so, every single day in the United States, and throughout much of the Western world, the liberal dogma of racial equality is tested in practice in integrated public schools.
And the result?
The result is that racial inequality stubbornly persists. It persists in spite of the billions of dollars that have been squandered on Great Society social programs like Head Start. It has persisted in spite of proscribing “racists” and “white supremacists” to the margins of society and reconstructing every major institution in America around the conscious promotion of black people.
To be a Disingenuous White Liberal (DWL) like Marc Ferguson, you have to believe several contradictory assumptions:
(1) First, you have to believe that “humanity” is a mammal that evolved from primate ancestors, and that human evolution was driven by a gradual increase in cranial capacity that resulted in greater intelligence which conferred a greater fitness upon the humans that possessed those mutations.
(2) Second, you have to believe that somewhere around 70,000 to 50,000 years ago, when the first modern humans emerged, that all biological differences in intelligence and behavior between human populations mysteriously vanished, and that at that particular point in history the grace of “equality” descended from the clouds and bestowed “human dignity” upon us, and that “intelligence” ceased having anything to do with the size and nature of the human brain.
(3) Third, you got to believe that modern humans continued to evolve after they emerged 70,000 to 50,000 years ago, and that the spread of “humanity” across every continent on earth into radically different environments, which put them under radically different selection pressures, produced striking but ultimately superficial racial changes in morphology (your skin is the largest organ in the human body), but none, absolutely none, in their mental capacities and behavior.
If the theory of racial equality is true, then the White Southerners who lived among blacks for three centuries, and who interacted with them on a daily basis, were just suffering from prejudice for attributing to them hereditary racial characteristics like lower intelligence and lower conscientiousness compared to Europeans and Indians.
The Northeastern Yankee, who did not live in daily contact with blacks, who had little practical experience in dealing with with them, was correct in assuming the equality of the races through a logical deduction from the most cherished abstract liberal principle of the Declaration of Independence, “all men are created equal.”
With the benefit of hindsight, we can shoot down the Enlightenment assumptions of the USA’s Declaration of Independence:
(1) Is it true that our species (Homo sapiens sapiens) was created? No, modern humans must have evolved as a race from an earlier human species, until the genetic distance between modern humans and their archaic predecessor became so great that we became a species in our own right, or we simply killed them off.
(2) Is it true that “all men are created equal”? This is preposterous given everything we know about evolution which is driven by natural selection acting upon hereditary inequality.
(3) Was there a “state of nature”? There is no proof there was ever a “state of nature” in which we exchanged our natural rights to enter into a civilized state. It is a historical myth propagated by lawyers. It was based on their own life experience in dealing with contracts and poor intelligence on aboriginal tribes in the New World.
(4) Do “natural rights” exist? There is no proof that social science is ever going to discover moral laws analogous to the laws of physics. It is much more likely that a moral sense evolved among humans because more cohesive groups were more competitive than fractious ones and had a greater reproductive advantage.
(5) Are men naturally free and equal? No, primate societies are fiercely violent, tribalistic, and hierarchical.
(6) Are men naturally born good only to be corrupted by society? There is no reason to believe this. The evidence points to just the opposite conclusion. Humans become less inclined to casual violence and more domesticated the longer that certain groups have lived in a civilized state.
Confederate ideology has stood the test of time because it is closer to the truth than Yankee ideology:
(1) The African negro is less intelligent and less conscientious than the White race. 150 years after slavery, this observation is still true. It is still true after DWLs did literally everything in their power uplift the negro and force reality to conform, unsuccessfully it turns out, to the liberal dogma of racial equality.
(2) Freedom failed everywhere it was tried: it failed in Haiti, it failed in sub-Saharan Africa, it failed in Dixie, it failed in Detroit, it failed everywhere in Europe where African immigrants have settled. When the African negro is combined with freedom and equality, civilization suffers a predictable decline.
(3) As John C. Calhoun pointed out, liberty proved to be a curse rather than a blessing to the negro. Look at Haiti, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Detroit, Zimbabwe, and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
(4) Slavery was the only argument for the African negro. The average single black woman in the United States has a net worth of $5 dollars after nearly 150 years of free society. That means the average black woman has lost 99 percent of her value since the destruction of slavery.
(5) The complexity of modern society will always produce inequality among social classes. In the United States, equality is more of a legend than anything else. There is no equality between Jewish billionaire capitalists like George Soros and the White working class.
The question is not whether there will be a wealthy ruling class. That is always a given. The real question is whether the ruling class will have any sense of racial, ethnic, and cultural loyalty to the lower classes.
An aristocratic upper class, preferably a rural landed gentry that invests its wealth in localized leisure activities, which is drawn by the late of fate from the people of the community, is naturally superior to the type of vulgar ruling class thrown up by liberal capitalist democracy, which is always striving to multiply the gap between itself and the lower classes.
The modern ruling class has no interest whatsoever at stake in the working class people who live in the small towns and cities of Dixie; the same cannot be said of the local country squire, who is familiar to everyone, and probably related to everyone in his community through culture and kinship.
150 years ago, the only useful enterprise known to mankind in which the African negro could be profitably employed was as manual labor in cash crop agriculture. It says a lot about modern liberalism that the only substitutes ithas managed to find since that time are sports, entertainment, and narcotics trafficking.